CHOQUEQUIRAO 4 DAYS / 3NIGHTS
Choquequirao is a demanding adventure, which features a road trip from Cusco to the town of San Pedro de Cachora (Apurímac) from a zigzag of 31 km trail to reach the archaeological site. The adventure is 62km round-trip; which lasts four days of hike, if request we can mount an optional horse on extra horse.
Altitude: 1,500 – 3,030 meters.
Season: All year.
Duration: 4 Days – 3 Nights.
Difficulty Level: Medium
Day 01: Cusco – San Pedro de Cachora – Chiquisca (3,350 – 2,850 to 1,930 masl)
Very early is the pick-up from the hotel to travel north-west from Cusco (3,350m) to Cachora (2,850m), Cachora is surrounded by mountains, with snowy Padreyoc (5,571m), here we will meet the muleteer and the mules that go to take the camping gear during the expedition. We will start the walk through a variety of ecosystems, as we’ll go through the Capuliyoc Pass (2,800m), from where we will have a spectacular view of the Apurimac Canyon and part of the archaeological complex of Choquequirao. Here, we will take a short break, then continue to our camp in Chiquisca (1,930m / 6,332 ft.).
Walking time: 7 hours in warm weather.
Day 02: Chiquisca – Rosalina Beach – Marampata – Choquequirao.
We enjoy a good breakfast, and then descend for an hour to Rosalina Beach (1,550m), here we start to climb to Santa Rosa (2,100m), with a short break from our lunch, we will continue towards the town of Marampata (2,850m), from where we will have a beautiful view of the archaeological complex of Choquequirao. We will walk towards Sunchupata, here we will have our dinner and camp; from this point, it is an hour to Choquequirao. Walking time: 7 hours in cold and hot climates (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner).
Day 03: Sunchupata – Choquequirao – Chiquisqa
The sunset in Choquequirao is enigmatic, often accompanied by condors, descending from the highest mountains of Vilcabamba, to the archaeological complex of Choquequirao (3,033m). After breakfast, we drive to Choquequirao to enjoy the sunrise, we will visit the citadel for three hours accompanied by the guide who will explain about this important Inca refuge and the importance of the rivers Apurímac and “Rio Blanco” so we can also enjoy the mountain range of Vilcabamba. After the guided tour, we will start the return to Sunchupata and descend to Santa Rosa, Here, we will have lunch and continue descending towards Rosalina beach. From there, we will ascend to the town of Chiquisqa, here we will camp. (Breakfast, Lunch and dinner) .Climate: moderate warm.
Day 4: Chiquisqa – Capuliyoc – Cachora – Cusco
After a fortifying breakfast in Chiquisqa (06:00 hours). This day, we will continue ascending towards the passage of Capuliyoc and from here are two hours more until the town of Cachora this is a much smoother stretch and we will be arriving at 12:00 p.m aprox., on the way, we will enjoy the exotic flora and fauna of the place, as well as views of imposing snowy mountains and the impressive Apurimac Canyon. In San Pedro de Cachora, we will have lunch and we will return to the city of Cusco. Arriving in the afternoon to the hotel. Breakfast and lunch. End of our services.
- Pick-up and transport from your hotel to Cachora
- Camping equipment
- Meals during the excursion (breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, vegetarian option available).
- Professional Guide
- Chef and kitchen equipment.
- Mule to load the camping equipment and personal items (maximum 5 kilos)
- Hot water every morning and afternoon for washing (during an excursion)
- Emergency horse
- Entrance to the archaeological complex of Choquequirao.
- Transportation from Cachora to your hotel in Cusco.
- First aid kit, oxygen and ropes
- Breakfast on the first day
- Dinner on the last day
- Life insurance, against accidents or any other type of insurance.
- Personal care items.
- Sleeping bags.
- Purifying water tablets.
You should bring:
- Sleeping bag
- Sturdy walking and comfortable footwear
- A complete change of clothes.
- A sweater and a jacket (warmers)
- Water bottle.
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Hat or cap to protect the sun
- Insect repellent.
- Bath articles, towels and toilet paper.
- Snacks: chocolate, nuts, biscuits, etc.
- Camera and spare batteries.
- Original passport or ISIC student card (important)