The Urubamba River extends from the high Andean mountain ranges through the Sacred Valley of the Incas, passing through Machu Picchu and into the jungle. It has some interesting white waters depending on the section of the river that is being made and the time of year. One of our most popular Rafting sections during the season is the «Chuquicahuana» section of the river in the Upper Urubamba. There are good class III rapids and the water is not contaminated, since unfortunately there are the Huambutio and Ollantaytambo sections of the river.
At 8:30 am, the guide will pick you up from your hotel (Cusco) and drive through the mountains towards the Sacred Valley of the Incas until we reach our private river put-in located in Pachar. Here you will receive your rafting equipment and a safety briefing. (Toilet facilities are available).
After a brief period practicing on the flat parts of the river, we will start our journey on easy waters, while we admire the spectacular view of the mountains and archaeological remains. We will continue towards Ollantaytambo and its amazing Inca terraces, at the time we will experience class II-III rapids, to finish with ?El Resbaladero? (The Slide), a strong class 3 rapid that includes waves and small whirlpools. We will then have lunch in a traditional restaurant located on the riverside owned by the local community. This is a great chance to enjoy the Andean cuisine while supporting community projects. Finally, you will return to your hotel in Cusco or to your hotel in the Sacred Valley.
OPTIONAL UPPER SECTION, SOUTH OF CUSCO FOR CLIENTS STAYING IN CUSCO
At 8:30am, the guide will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco from We will drive South towards Cusipata town where We will pump the raft and will receive our gear and safety talk. After a period of training we will board our rafts and start the descent by the Vilcanota river. We will cross a narrow canyon with some class 2-3 rapids. The scenery is beautiful and will give us the chance to see villagers working on their crops, fishermen and Andean wild birds. Then we will go back to the hotel.
- Private transportation from hotel to the starting point and from the end of the adventure back to hotel.
- Picnic lunch.
- Top of the Line rafting equipment (V river rafting gear) and self-bailing rafts.
- Safety and professional river procedures.
- Best class V river guides (international training, swift-water rescue and wilderness first responder courses or similar).
- Safety kayak.
- Professional First Aid Kit.
- Environmental care.
- Visiting Inca ruins or other towns.
- Tips: please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish.
- IGV Tax.
- Other services not mentioned in the program.